Monday, January 20, 2014

a step forward

Woke up this morning to a snowy day in good old Minnesota. The good thing about the snow in this state, is it seems to keep it fairly warmer than average, it was a burning 26 degrees. Word around the hospital is that tomorrow is going to be below zero somewhere.

Went to see Capri this morning and as soon as I walked in the door, her eyes were open and she was just looking around the room. I was a pretty good sight to see. I then noticed that her breathing tube had been removed!!!! That was a GREAT sight. She is still on the CPAP machine, due to her collapsed lung. The staff is still trying to figure out just what is causing that at the moment, only time will tell, hopefully it is a story with a happy ending. As they examined her drainage, they noticed that it was a different color, and they started to look into that. What they believe is that when they were in the O.R. the blade might have mad e a small cut in something that I can't spell or pronounce, but it is causing problems with her release date. They inform us that this should heal itself with a no fat diet but could take up to 10 weeks to completely heal. I am hoping this is the case, as possible O.R. trip might be needed.

As the day wore on Capri started to get more angry, and it was hard to tell it is was due to hunger, or pain. As I stood over her and held her hand, she looked so upset and not to mention really scared. It was pretty much one of the hardest things I have had to sit and watch. My daughter laying there, clinching her fists, trying to try but only a small squeal was emitted due to the irritation from the breathing tube. As she looks up at me, I can tell that she has not idea what is going on, and why we are doing this to her, but one thing is clear, and that is that she is hurting, and I I just have to sit there and watch it, and do nothing to help.

Kendra and I got to hold Capri today for this first time in almost 2 weeks. It was the moment of the day and made my whole week. Getting to hold her in my arms, and see her looking up at me like good old times. The only thing that would have made it better, is if I could have gotten her to give me one of her famous smiles, I tried and tried but she was having none of it. Kendra got to hold her as well and it was a wonderful sight to see once again. She seemed to be very comfortable while we were holding her so at least we were able to provide that to her if nothing else.

I have a feeling that tomorrow is going to be a good day. I am going to walk in the room, and she will be watching more episodes of gold Rush, her stats will be perfect, and they will have her discharge papers filled out waiting for a signature. OK, well I know I have the Gold Rush part right.

No comments:

Post a Comment